- The first ever complete and authorised biography of Britain’s first rock ’n’ roller and all-round entertainment legend
- Fully approved and endorsed by Sir Tommy Steele himself (the first time he has given approval for such a work to be completed)
- A completely comprehensive and detailed study of Tommy’s incomparable 65-year career
- Handsomely illustrated with rare and archival photographs from Tommy Steele’s archive
- Foreword by Sir Tim Rice with direct contributions from Dame Judi Dench, Petula Clark, Elaine Paige, Paul Nicholas, Lesley Ann Warren and also from many of Tommy’s theatrical co-stars
In the summer of 1956, while on shore leave from the Merchant Navy, Thomas Hicks was spotted playing a new type of music in a coffee bar in London.
Having never heard anything like this 'rock' performed in Britain, he became an overnight sensation—never returning to his ship. He changed his name to Tommy Steele and for 65 years he has been Britain's greatest showman.
In a remarkable career spanning radio, records, Broadway and Hollywood, Tommy Steele started the rock revolution in the UK before moving to lighter, family entertainment and becoming a well-loved household name.
He received an OBE for Services to Entertainment in 1979 and a knighthood for Services to Entertainment and Charity in 2020.
He has conquered the West End, Hollywood and Broadway; holds records for the longest-running one-man-show in the London's West End and also the record for most appearances at the hallowed London Palladium. However, his remarkable career has never been detailed accurately and comprehensively—until now.
Authorised by Sir Tommy Steele himself, A Life in the Spotlight offers readers a detailed insight into the career of an unrivalled entertainment legend, with countless facts, stories, details and anecdotes never before committed to print.
||234 x 156 mm
||10 June 2021
||80 colour and black & white photographs
Sebastian Lassandro is a high school English teacher from Manchester, England. He first heard Tommy Steele at the age of sixteen in 2004 and since then has followed Tommy's stage performances all around the country. He is a recognised authority and archivist of Tommy Steele's work. Aside from Tommy, Sebastian's other interest is Dame Gracie Fields and he is the President of the Dame Gracie Fields Appreciation Society. In 2018, he published 'Pride of Our Alley' a comprehensive two-volume biographical set about 'Our Gracie.' A keen amateur theatre actor and director, he has recently completed his Master's Degree in Education.