- Based on original and unpublished records, newspaper accounts and documentation
- Superbly illustrated with many photographs and plans of the aerodromes
- A comprehensive account of all military aerodromes including seaplane bases, which existed in Scotland between the world wars
The end of the First World War brought with it the closure of many Scottish military aerodromes; however, it retained links with naval aviation and aircraft carriers.
In the latter part of the 1920s, Auxiliary Air Force squadrons were formed at Edinburgh and Glasgow, which were manned by civilians. With the rise of the Third Reich in Germany, the RAF responded by building new airfields or reopening former First World War sites.
These included armament practice camps at Evanton and West Freugh where pilots could perfect skills in bombing and weapon firing. RAF flying boats also visited various coastal locations around Scotland in the years leading up to the war.
||275 x 215 mm
||06 June 2020
||128 colour photographs
Grant Peerless was born in St Albans in 1943 and followed a career in civil engineering until taking early retirement in 1999. He then returned to his life-long interest in aviation, particularly airfields in the UK and following extensive research, co-wrote two books with aviation journalist and photographer Richard Riding: Elstree Aerodrome: The Past in Pictures (Sutton Publishing, 2003) and Leavesden Aerodrome: From Halifaxes to Hogwarts (Amberley Publishing, 2011). He has also had several articles published in Airfield Review.