Author(s): Peter Tuffrey
Before the Second World War Sheffield Council planned a major slum clearance and redevelopment programme in the Park Hill area. But this was largely halted due to the War. Afterwards, a radical scheme, under the leadership of the Council’s chief architect John Lewis Womersley, was introduced – the Park Hill redevelopment. It was viewed as revolutionary at the time, featuring a deck access scheme. Construction began in 1957 and Park Hill (Part One) was officially opened by Hugh Gaitskell, in 16 June 1961. Park Hill Part 2, becoming known as Hyde Park, and built adjacent, was opened in 1965 by the Queen Mother. Although the two areas were initially popular and successful, over time Hyde Park was nicknamed ‘Alcatraz’ by some residents due to its many social problems.
The largest of the Hyde Park blocks – Block B was demolished in the early 1990s. The remaining Blocks A and C were refurbished. Block D was also demolished. In 1998 Park Hill Part One was given Grade II* listing making it the largest listed building in Europe. Obviously controversy has courted this entire development from the outset and this book attempts to present a balanced view of many of the events as they have taken place.
|FORMAT||248 x 172 mm|
|PUBLICATION DATE||15 December 2013|
|ILLUSTRATIONS||114 black-and-white photographs|
Peter Tuffrey was born in Doncaster in 1953. He studied Fine Art at Doncaster College of Art and then at Leeds University until 1974.
He was Keeper of Fine and Decorative Arts at Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery 1975-1995; freelance writer 1995-2000, PR Media Consultant for Doncaster Rovers 2000- 2002; and Area Manager for the Music Ground Group of Companies 2003-2010.
He is now working as a freelance writer. He has produced over 80 publications featuring the Doncaster area as well as Nottingham, Sheffield, and the Yorkshire area in general. He has also written many articles for local and regional newspapers and has recently penned a novel Angel from the Gutter.