**THIS BOOK WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR DISPATCH ON 21 JANUARY 2021**
(Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of Pre-Order below)
- The definitive and comprehensive study of US pre-Cold War guided bomb, missile and drone development
- A fascinating study of German guided-missile technology during the Second World War such as the V-1, V-2 , Rheinbote, Fritz X, Ruhrstahl X-7, Wasserfall, A4b and Feuerlilie
- Beautifully illustrated with many rare and unpublished photographs
- Of interest to aviation and military historians, modellers, gamers and flight simulator enthusiasts
- Supplemented by a wealth of diagrams and photographs, some believed to be previously unpublished
Every week, mass media highlights the use of drones and guided missiles against terrorists and the recreational use of drones has become commonplace.
The Nazi development of guided missiles and bombs during the Second World War is often given credit for America’s Cold War success in this realm; however, it was during the war that America also began the development of systems and weapons that laid the foundation for today’s technology. Off Target: America’s Guided Bombs, Missiles and Drones 1917-1948
relates in detail the then ‘secret’ research, development and combat employment of these early guided bombs, missiles and drones from 1917 to 1950.
Using formerly secret/confidential manuals, reports, microfilm printouts and photos collected over forty years, William Wolf gives a detailed look at this unknown topic that progressed from biplane drones to sophisticated post-Second World War guided missiles.
Among the subjects discussed are Sperry’s aerial torpedo and the Kettering ‘Bug’ of the First World War to early rudimentary GB Series glide bombs to the more sophisticated VB Series that evolved from radio, heat, light or television guidance.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF PRE-ORDER
||248 x 172 mm
||21 January 2021
||339 black-and-white photographs
1. Pre-orders are charged at time of order and the order will be processed and posted to you as soon as the book becomes available.
2. Current publication date for this title is 21 January 2021. Publication date can change and you will be informed via e-mail for any such changes or delays. The book will be shipped via DPD in the UK, Channel Islands and Republic of Ireland, and, DHL internationally.
3. Current format specifications including page extent and number of images could change and you will be informed via e-mail for any such changes.
4. You can cancel the pre-order at any time and request a refund.
5. Marketing, Promotions and Discounts: where at times we may offer discount(s) on forthcoming ('preorder') books and that part of the order is cancelled, we do not guarantee the same discount will be available at a future date or at all at point of availability.
5. Placing a pre-order with us means that you have acknowledged and accepted these Terms and Conditions as well as our General Terms and Conditions.